When life gives you aubergines, make Vegetarian Aubergine Parmigiana! One of the most iconic and tasty Italian dish that is prepared with aubergine, tomato sauce and cheese. It is a great recipe for a mid-week meal when you serve with plenty of fresh salad and crusty bread.
So the weather for English is a great conversation filler and finally, we have something that we really love to talk about, yes and that’s the weather!
Gorgeous sunny weather is here and seems, not sure for how long but at least we can enjoy this week and bask in the sunshine.
Not only good weather but colourful and fresh produces are flooding in the market too, and they are at their very best in the height of warm weather. I absolutely love this time of the year for that reason.
Did you know that Late Princess Diana used to love Aubergine and one of her favourite recipes was Stuffed Aubergine with Bulgur and Buckwheat
I love to create recipes with Aubergine, you can create all sorts of delicious recipes from any cuisine. Indians throw them in a fire and produces finger licking smoky Baingan Bhartha, take it to Greece and you’ll be served amazing Moussaka, and how can we forget Baba Ghanoush from the Middle East and one of my favourite holiday destination Italy, will make you drool on Ratataoluli and aubergine Parmigiana. We have been to Italy three times already, and never miss out on enjoying Aubergine Parmigiana!
I have used Vegetarian Hard Cheese instead of Parmesan Cheese ( Many vegetarians don’t know that Parmesan cheese made using animal-based rennet)
I did use Cirio brand Napolitana flavoured Passata.
VEGETARIAN AUBERGINE PARMIGIANA
- 4 aubergine
- 400g cirio passata
- 300g mozzarella cheese cut into slice
- 180g vegetarian hard cheese
- Extra Virgin Oil
- 8-10 basil leaves fresh
- Salt to taste
How to cook VEGETARIAN AUBERGINE PARMIGIANA
- Wash the aubergines and cut them into slices of less than 1/2 cm thick.
- Apply little oil on the slices and grill them for 4-5 minutes each side or until nicely browned.
- Preheat the oven to 200C or gas mark 6.
- Flavour the passata with some of oil and salt.
- Alternate layer the aubergines, passata, basil, mozzarella cheese and hard vegetarian cheese in a lightly oiled heatproof dish, finally topping with passata and hard cheese.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes in a gas oven or 20 minutes in a fan oven.
- Scatter with a few leaves of basil and serve hot with fresh salad and crusty bread.