This time of the year we should get lots and lots of fresh produce like spinach and many greens at a reasonable cost, unfortunately this year we are not getting that. Of course spinach and greens are there, but they are very costly :(. It could be several reasons, the weather is playing a big part and also high fuel prices !!
However, high prices won't stop me buying good quality ingredients, if you need it, you need it! What else can you do? Anyway I have to stop whining about it! Let's see the recipe.
This time instead of paneer I used mixed vegetables, but the kept the flavour of Palak Paneer. !
- 3 small bunches of palak ( can use baby spinach )
- 1 cup mixed vegetables like carrots, peas, sweetcorn and green beans boiled ( I used frozen )
- 1 big onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 3-4 green chillies finely chopped
- 30 ml fresh single cream
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp crushed cardamom seeds
- 1 big tomato finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin and coriander
- 1/2 tsp kitchen king masala
- 1/2 tsp kasoori methi ( dry fenugreek leaves )
- pinch of hing ( asafoetida )
- 2-3 tbsp oil
Wash palak leaves. Place in a big bowl with 3-4 tbsp water and cook in the microwave for 3-4 minutes. I prefer this method , don't need to drain the water.
Now place spinach in grinder and ground into coarse paste. it will take few seconds. Leave it a side.
Heat oil on a medium heat in a heavy bottom pan and add cumin seeds, when splutter add hing and finely chopped onion , saute till they turn golden brown, it will take about 3-4 minutes.
Add kasoori methi, green chillies and ginger garlic paste, fry all these about 1-2 minutes.
Now add red chilli powder, garam masala, kitchen king masala and salt. Turn the heat on low.
Fry about half a minute and add chopped tomatoes.
Cook the tomatoes in masala till little soften.
Add mixed vegetables and cook about 3-4 minutes on a low heat.
Add spinach and mix well. Cook further about 2-3 minutes. Add single cream and cardamom seeds, mix well let it simmer about one more minute. Turn off the heat.
Ready to serve with roti, naan or paratha.