My mum has taught me many dishes with aubergine and even I have seen many in recipe books and on the internet, but undoubtedly, my favourite aubergine dish has to be Baigan Bhartha. At the moment, aubergine can be bought cheap so there isnt a week that goes without making a dish using aubergine - much to the displeasure of my daughter. So there are so many great aubergine memories with my mum and my daughter...So what is Baigan Bhartha? Is lovely or should I say heavenly smoky flavoured roasted eggplant!! Every region in India has their own version of Baigan Bhartha...Now days even in parties I have seen this dish..and in U.K English people have started liking it too..
You will need:-
- 1 large Aubergine
- 1 packet of fresh baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup onion finly chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, grated -can use green garlic
- 1 teaspoon green chillies, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander-cumin seed powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- salt to taste
For the garnish
- Handful of fresh chopped coriander
Grease the brinjal with a little oil, make slits all over the surface and cook over an open flame till it is soft.
Cool and peel the skin. Mash the pulp thoroughly and keep aside. (I grind it in grinder, so there isn't any lump in the puree) Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds. When they crackle add the onions and sauté for a few minutes. Add the ginger, garlic and green chillies and fry again for a few seconds. Add the tomato, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seed powder and cook till the oil separates from the masala. Add the mashed brinjal, garam masala and salt and mix well. Now add washed spinach and let it cook further 2-3 minutes. Serve hot garnished with the coriander. and enjoyy as much as I do..;0)) I love to have it mine with Bajra Rotla(Millet flour roti)..
Panch Pakwan...as now I only have the memories with me................and event Cooking with seeds-Cumin seeds hosted by Sara's Corner, started by Priya
Announcing Event : Home Remedies Series III
Few weeks back Sadhana and Muskaan of A2Zvegetarian cuisine asked me if I can be a guest host of their Home Remedies Event...It's huge successful event and this event is hosted as a series..I am honored and lucky to host the event and I'll be hosting event for May 2010.
A natural home remedy is one way to help you heal. It is a form of self-help. Taking control of your own health.Natural remedies are a great thing to have on hand when allergies kick in, skin problems crop up, and your hair fries after a long, hot summer and headaches, to sleeplessness, to the many stress related illnesses.or should I say a very long list that can go on and on..... So let's get together and fight all these unwanted and nasty problems like Hayfever, Watery eyes, dry skin, sunburn, if you been stung by a bee, digestive problems, toothache and if you think any others, post them to me..
There are some rules to follow
1) This is a vegetarian blog so ingredients used should be strictly vegetarian, no eggs allowed please, however dairy is exempted.
2) Please send only remedies which you have tried & tested in your home and worked for you.
3) If you have used any special spice/s for the remedies please take a photo along with the final product as lot of people might not be familiar by the name, also discuss why & when to use/consume, ALSO whether it is prepared fresh/ can be kept after preparing for later consumption.
4) Link your post to the event and the use of logo is COMPULSORY.
5) When you send the entry please mark for which ailment this remedy is.
6) Old entries are accepted, provided you repost them, and link back to this event & A2Z vegetarian Cuisine.
7) We are looking for remedies which we drink or apply orally and not meals, so please do not send soup or rasam.
8) There is no limit on the number of entries you can send, so send as many you want to.
9) Non bloggers can also participate in this event, just email us with picture, recipe & name of the remedy at your email address to email@example.com
10) For ideas check out here for some of the home remedies we have posted from Series I and here
11) Any enqury regarding this event please leave a comment or e-mail me.
12) The event starts today and ends on May 31st 2010.
13) If you are intrested in hosting this event please email to firstname.lastname@example.org