You will need:-
- 2 cups whole Black Gram(whole urad) soaked overnight.
- 3-4 Cloves
- 1-2 cinamon bark small
- 1-2 bayleaves
- 1 cup finely chopped tomatoes or tin tomatoes-pureed
- 1 big onion finely chopped (i pureed in a mixer)
- 4-5 cloves of Garlic-paste
- 4-5 green chillies- paste
- 2" ginger piece- paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp tumeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 2 tsp coriander and cumin powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil (use unsalted butter or ghee for richer taste)
- Salt to taste
Cook the daal in pressure cooker with 3 whole spices and enough water, about 20-25 minutes. Mash daal slightly to make creamier. Now in a heavy bottom pan heat oil and add pureed onion, fry on a slow heat untill turns slightly brown, add ginger, chillies and garlic paste, fry for a 2-3 minutes. Add tomatoes and all the masala powder and cook till you can see oil leaves the masala(this tells you that masala has cooked properly). Now add daal in the masala and mix really well. add salt and let it simmer gently for 20-25 minutes. Daal is ready to serve. Goes well with Roti, Naan or rice...i love mine with slightly burnt roti, yes I delebrat burn my rotis....
Sending this dish to three events..
- Priya's Easy N Tasty Recipe event Hearts for St Valentine's Day .
- Rachel's event MLLA started by Susan .
- Shama Nagarajan's event Family's Favorite Food Event - Valantines Day .
[Glitterfy.com - *Glitter Photos*]